Monday 14 October 2013

The interratial one

This weekend my boyfriend came to visit me here in Coventry. He lives in Belgium, I live in the United Kingdom for one year. Another unusual thing is that he's black and I'm white. Or that's what people say at least.

To explain this post, I just want to say that I am very open minded towards quite a lot of things (not about schedules though. Never mess with the schedules.). I am the kind of person that respects others' opinion, because they're allowed to have their own thoughts about stuff. However, I feel like a lot of people are too narrow minded these days. I feel it in my home country and I feel it here, in the UK. Despite the digital revolution, where you can talk to people from where ever, no matter the place they come from or the skin color they have, it seems like everyone kind of gets along. But once it happens in real life, when two people really hit it of and they happen to be from different racial backgrounds, it seems like columbus just woke up from death and declared the whole white population as Indians (this may be a bit exaggerated, but you get my point).

I have good friends of mine that tell me they don't understand how I can be with someone that does not have the same skin color as me. I always tell them that I don't see the difference. To me he is as white as I am, and I am as black as he is. For now, he is the person I really love, and I fell in love with him for his personality, and the way he treats me and makes me feel like I can be a better person.

How come skin color still matter that much? How come people treat you differently when you happen to look darker or mighter than anyone else? It has affected those people, and for me, as a person that is very close to someone who is considered 'outside of the norm', it affects me. I can feel the way people look when we kiss, I can see how they fringe when we hold hands. I find this quite unfair, and very superficial.

I appologise if I am overreacting, because I may have a bit of a distorded vision on this as I am in the middle the situation. I would like to know if some of you think the same, so please feel free to comment!

Write to you later,

K.


No comments:

Post a Comment